Effectively manage your RBF program
At its beginning, Bluesquare was born from the idea that sound data management and performance visualization have a central role to play in the success of RBF projects (result-based financing projects). Data can help ensure effective implementation and support transparency and accountability. For all the actors involved data can play a key role.
Since then, Bluesquare has focused on developing and deploying software tools to make this a reality. We rolled out the original OpenRBF tool in close to 20 countries. In 2016, we decided to re-build the software, and split it into several modules, while maintaining our focus on technology that would enhance the health financing capability of DHIS2. The result was Data Viz and Hesabu, a health financing rule engine. Here is how these work.
When it come to Results-Based Financing (RBF) there are three things that need to be accomplished:
- Tracking of the service delivery that takes place in health centers / hospitals
- Verification of the activity conducted by these players
- Creation of the payment invoices in line with the results
To realize this Bluesquare has developed Hesabu, a modular web application. Hesabu helps you manage your RBF program and improve your strategic purchasing by defining and applying computation rules to the RBF data collected, then generating scores and the corresponding financial amounts to be paid out based on the specific parameters of your program.
Technically speaking, the Hesabu tool does this by plugging directly into the DHIS2/HMIS data warehouse. It then extracts all the declared data relating to the program and completes the necessary calculations. Once this is done, the verified data is sent back to DHIS2. Hesabu also sends back all the new data related to the payment calculations completed. So the DHIS2 warehouse data is further enriched.
While primarily used in the health sector, Hesabu can be used to compute key performances indicators in a variety of sectors, including education.
Who is it for?
Governments, donors and NGOs specifically the managers of RBF programs and their data managers and analysts.
How does it work?
- Hesabu plugs directly into your DHIS2/HMIS platforms.
- Based on your specific RBF program, the necessary calculations can be processed automatically and quickly.
- Once the results are calculated, it creates an invoice with exactly what needs to be paid for each facility.
- These results are then reinserted into your DHIS2/HMIS platform for successful integration with your data.
Why should you use it?
- Clearly defined access rights for who can access which data
- Automatic verification of the data.
- Provides automated sample selections to verify data (based on best available data)
- Easily monitor and evaluate the program.
- See how a specific health center has evolved over time.
- Compare health centers within the same group (regions, etc.)
- Straightforward interface
- Web-based for accessibility
- Simple platform for low-connectivity environments
The Bluesquare Hesabu Service
- Advice and best practice insights on how to use the application for your specific RBF payment scheme
- Selection and recommendation on how the data should be stored in DHIS2 and loaded into Hesabu
- Recommendations on how to build benefit packages so it is easy to manage and modify if needed
- Support effective quality checks (e.g. formulas, outputs)
- Support on the best way to design of invoices
- Coming Soon – A user interface to visualize rules and modify parameters of the health financing scheme (unit prices, weights)